Welcome to paradise....

Welcome to paradise....

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Melaka Negeri Bersejarah

Few weeks back, on the way back to KL from Muar (a northwestern region of the State of Johor under the administrative powers of the Kingdom of Johor…according to my dearest is where all great Johoreans comes from *rolling eyes*), he decided to take a detour through Bandar Hilir Melaka. I was really tired so decided to close my eyes with the intention of visiting La La Land.

But the hustle and bustle of the city was way too much for me to ignore. I opened my eyes to peep and saw an unfamiliar sight. I got up and I saw A’Famosa. Ok, we were at the right place but what happened to the rest? Or did they move A’Famosa to a crowded city?? We parked and did the tourist thingy. We even jumped onto one of the brightly decorated trishaw with loud music blaring to the tune of ‘No Woman No Cry’…we were like a curious MahMeri child on crack! These trishaws were like one of those Notting Hill or New Orleans floats during the carnivals minus the thongs and feathers. Thank god for that! Imagine the poor Pakcik who was cycling us in thongs and feathers…eeeuuuwww!!!


Here and there, we were greeted by new sights. I was pleasantly surprised by the new development of the city. It was exactly how a tourist attraction place should look like. The local tourism authority has really done a good job! If you haven’t been to Melaka since Jurassic Park 1 like me, go! Go now and be bowled over like I did!

However there was a slight blip to the tour.

We decided to brush up our knowledge on Malacca history via the nightly light and sound show. Towards the end of the show, there was a part where the pre-recorded voice was saying how Umno and the coalition won 51 seats out of 52 seats in the first general election and it was repeated 15 times! 15 bloody annoying times! I know that election is around the corner, but enough already. Its like watching the RTM news these days…. a pre-election propaganda repertoire. After every news telecast one could hear the subconscious chant of Da…cing…Pang…kah….Da…cing…Pang…kah….!!! Apparently the faulty machine has been at it since 1998 and they couldn’t fix it because it’s too costly. So audiences for the past 10 years have to just sit and bear with it....

…Duh!

By the way, I have mentioned earlier that a girlfriend of mine had successfully launched her first novel. What I did not mention was the fact that she had spent a good six months researching on the subject matter, draft and redraft her stories, chalking up on money and time spent talking to friends for advises.

So I wonder how long did this person (read here for the full story) spend when she wrote her little book of poem?

Copying a sentence or two is still acceptable, but when you actually get paid for it, you have crossed the border between plagiarizing and thieving.