Welcome to paradise....

Welcome to paradise....

Thursday, March 06, 2008

And they were one...

Last Monday, my in-laws had a pretty grand shindig to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary. As usual, the event were jointly organised by their anaks and the menantus under my FIL’s eagle eyed guidance. Lately, all the family activities seem to be that way. What used to be and most of the time, still is his forte (in organising), I think he is slowly relinquishing his reign to prepare his children to take over the duty.

From the coloured theme to the multimedia presentation to the food to the place to the door gifts..etc, the beradiks and the menantus all chipped in. We started of at 6.30pm with cocktail for the friends to mingle and reminisce about nostalgic old times. Right after Maghrib, the event which is similar to a small scale wedding party, started! I must add that the owner of The Kampung Pengantin in Jalan Ampang were most obliging in meeting our every demand.

Though the rain slightly dampened the air and drowning out the multimedia presentation, it was a good night. I was especially proud of my daughter for being brave enough to go up on the stage in front of hundreds of guest rendering a special dedication to her grandparents i.e. Yayie and Neena.

There were hardly any dry eyes when the multimedia presentation (fantastically done by my SIL*kipas sikit*) was shown which depicted their love story which started in 1964 till the present day. And it has to be said that the loudest was my dearest!!! He bawled like a baby and actually had to delegate his ‘speech’ to his sister who also bawled whilst reading the speech especially made to their parents (though not as bad as my dearest)!! Later, I was quite surprised when he asked me if I felt ashamed about him crying. The man who cried at our wedding, cried when our daughter was born and cried during this party!!! Why on earth would I be ashamed? I’m actually very proud that I have landed myself a man who is not afraid to show his feelings! Crybabies are men too….i suppose..

When I stood there enjoying the event, the questions that went through my mind were….

1) How many of us will reach the 40th anniversary? While some of us smoke 2 packs a day, eating heavily fried items everyday, daily TehTarik ….Forget about it!!


2) How many old couples do we know that are still very loving towards one another and still bathe together at times? …comparing the size of tummy flabs ,crinkly knees, amount of silver nose hair or whose nipples are dropping closest to their belly button!!....Not many I tell u..

3) How many couples who really have gone through really bad times and really good times together, yet never fighting at all? Impossible you say….unless you’re married to a Saint

4) How many couples who are truly lucky to be married to their soul mate? Not Elizabeth Taylor or Zsa Zsa Gabor…..or even Ayah Pin

5) How many couples, who others never spoke in condescension but always in a good light? Rosmah and Najib…..NOT!!

6) How many couples that really go out of their way to help others never expect anything in return but just mere ‘thank you’? Mr & Mrs Ah Long…NOT!!

And as I squeezed my dearest’s hand that night, I sent a little prayer to up above hoping that we will be one of those couples……and in the slightest whisper I could hear my dearest say, …………….so I’m gonna be stuck with you for the next 31 years huh!!!