Welcome to paradise....

Welcome to paradise....

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Older yes, but wiser? maybe...

I think I look so much more mature and closer to my death now that I’ve just had my birthday. I can honestly say that ever since I turned thirty, for each birthday year, I actually answer "Yes" to when people ask if it feels different to be a year older. Thirties just has a feel to it. I don't know what that feel is, but I feel it! I got the Thirties in me!

To elaborate my point, read on...

My kindness to strangers sadly depends on the mood I'm in that day. One day I'll talk it up with them, be kind and helpful and generally a pleasant person. Other days they can all basically fuck off.

Now, before you start thinking I'm a dreadful person all the time, let me explain. I am not a complete sourpuss 24/7. It is just that I get irritated with inconsiderate and rude strangers and they put me in a foul mood and I'm not strong enough inside to rise above and not let them ruin my day.

Yesterday, on my way to the pasar malam, I stopped at a crosswalk for a young girl pushing a stroller. All of a sudden, a lady driver in a Honda City behind me started honking. I shut my car off, walked up to her window and offered her my keys. "Here, you run the girl and her baby down, I don't have the heart", I said.

What was her reaction? She reversed and drove off on the next lane.

What made me do it? Normally I would just grit my teeth and cursed in silence waiting patiently. But never before had I actually confronted a rude driver. After all, he could be a road bully for all I know. But at that point, I was neither scared nor cared. I was pissed!

I wonder now where all that bravery came from? Was it due to the thirties in me??

And to add salt to wound, I was called ‘makcik’ by a boy selling chicken rice. Makcik! Not even a ‘kakak’! I may be dressed in just a t-shirt and jeans and have no makeup on but to be addressed as a ‘makcik’! I don’t mind being addressed as aunty (he is a little boy after all) but a ‘makcik’. I don’t deserve that! Really! He was very lucky that I’ve paid for the rice; else I would have just left huffing and puffing till I blow his ‘gerai’ down. He was seriously lucky that I didn’t have the energy to kick his butt to Timbaktoo, wherever that is!

p/s Don’t leave me comments about makcik=aunty, bm=english translation and all that crap. I still think that an aunty sounds younger and hip than a makcik!