Welcome to paradise....

Welcome to paradise....

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Men - What do they want really?

I have always wondered about the saying ‘men are from Mars and women are from Venus'. Can this approach be used in our chain of thoughts when it comes to gift buying for these two genders?

Why is it so difficult to get a gift for a man? I have spent the past umpteen years cracking my brain trying to get the perfect gifts for the men in my life i.e my dearest, good ole dad and my brother. In all those years, I would probably have scored once or twice the perfect present! The rest…blegh!

When we were little, dad has had hundreds of shirts, ties, garden stuff, the odd book, some scary undies & hankies! Now that we are adults, we hope to at least get him something a little more substantial. Hence lots of phone calls between us trying to find out his latest hobby!

Why can't men just be straight forward like a woman when it comes to buying gifts. Buying gifts for my mom and sisters are always fun and easy. Infact, months before any event, birthdays, anniversaries or mother's day, I would dropped hints *really heavy hints* to my dearest for the things that I want!

Replies like 'anything dear' or 'don't go through too much trouble' or 'don't spend too much' or 'Oh, don't make a big deal about my birthday', does not warrant to anything if during spring cleaning, suddenly one find those gifts tucked away at the back of the cupboards (hoping that I will not find out but I did!)!

There were the forgotten shirts, pants, electrical gadgets, cool items to me but apparently not so to them…etc.

This year was no different! I had worn out my shoes last week, hunting for a gift for dad’s birthday. I flirted between shirts *eyes rolling*, pants *what’s new?*, books, socks, electrical gadgets, sporting equipments, etc. But nothing seems to fit the bill….or should I say the budget..hehe.

At last I got him a sport t-shirt!

So did my other siblings!

But they became insignificant, paled in comparison, when we saw what he got for himself!


Duh….I shouldn’t have bothered!