Welcome to paradise....

Welcome to paradise....

Thursday, September 20, 2007

love-hate relationship with Ikea!

Everytime I go to Ikea I will end up with lighter purse than originally intended. And the weekend prior to puasa month was no exception. I guess by now, most people in KL would have gotten Ikea’s latest catalogue. And like all ardent fan of Ikea, I immediately spotted something (there’s always something *rolling eyes*) that I wanted which would have cost me a mere RM7.90 only. Dirt cheap! So I thought…

Laden with past experiences, I had hardened my heart against other possible temptation right from the moment I set my foot out from home. I was determining to be a hunter and not a food gatherer!

So did I achieve my target to get just the measly RM7.90 vase?

Yes and no!

I got the vase along with so many other things! WHY????!!! Why can’t I be focused??

Why must I be tempted with the bland Scandinavian food? The cute little gizmos? The adorable things that is no use to me at all? WHY???

As if in a demonic Mona Fendi trance, the act of slinging the bright yellow nylon bag across the shoulders is automatic. Trying to act and tell the world subtly that you’ve just moved to a new duplex condo in Mont Kiara??? NOT!!!

I should have just gone in lenggang kangkung, took what I wanted, pay and get out.

But the thing was, each item that I picked seems to be cheaper than the last. But when you actually get to the counter to pay…MAK DATUK! It was no longer RM7.90! Plus the lunch itself was 3 times that! That much I can tell you!

So what have I learned (but never wisen up)?

Ikea have good but malicious marketing ploy!

1. Design really simple made from cheap stuff but with class and cool modern design sense, they can charge a premium!


2. Post up the designer’s face by the product as if its John Galiano or Tom Ford as though its couture (Designer carpet, frying pan …yeah right!! Apek buat Terompah kat Batu Pahat tu pun couture lah kot! ) and they can charge a bomb!

3. You’d have to assemble these items yourself to save their cost (Have u ever bought a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes or Stella McCartney evening gown…then Assemble them yourself??)

4. They then make the exit embarrassing for those who don’t buy anything. So most people ended up buying any of the cheap items in the heap just before the cashier….afterall, can rebate the parking maaa….

But then again, I am a shopaholic!

You might think with their rocketed daily sales, Ikea would be smiling to the Bank?? Apparently the smile is not wide enough for its management, they have changed the menu for the worse…no more the ever popular meatballs but substituted with some sort of processed meat slice (Which is the same as the meat balls but flat) I figure they can sell less meat for the same price…at the consumer’s expense. The free flow Espresso & Cappuccino is GONE!!! Its just coffee and milk only….for the same price as before!!

And the worst oxymoronic fact is ….. I still dig the place!! Aaaaaaargh!!!

Dumbass!