Welcome to paradise....

Welcome to paradise....

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Chicher, chicher, can I go to toilet plisss.....

Today, I’m going to dedicate this post to all the teachers who have taught me in my school years. Some teachers were inspirational, some were…not so inspirational. But inspirational or not, they have made me who I am today. To be honest, I didn’t know how I survived secondary school. Most of the time I just moped around trying to stay awake.

Yesterday Malaysians honoured our teachers with gifts, messages, adverts, awards and some even put up shows. Like her mother before her, my daughter had great ideas to show her appreciation for her beloved teachers. She chose picture frames for her teachers (at Mama’s expense …of course) the kiddies even put up a performance show for them. She came back satisfied, happy that she had made her teachers’ day! There was even a surprise for me in the form of a brooch and a card from her teacher for mother’s day. Nice!!

Then last night, I decided to revise her schoolwork since her exam is just around the corner. When we finished, she said, ‘Thanks mum, you’re not just my mama but you can also be my teacher’!

That remark got me thinking that at one point of our lives, all of us would have been a teacher to someone, be it teaching our staffs about work, teaching our younger siblings on schoolwork or more importantly, crucial life saving things like fashion and make-up, teaching our parents on gadgets like hand phones / internet or even teaching strangers on how to use the atms. So by right, Teacher’s Day should be celebrated by all not just by school children. Unfortunately, generally, the ‘day’ is normally celebrated exclusively by schools!! Perhaps it’s time we changed our mindset?? There are others too who deserves to be celebrated…don’t you think?

Anyway, the real reason to celebrate an appreciation day for educators is for their patience. Have u ever tried to teach someone the simplest things to you but an impossible task for the designated student??? After explaining it for the 7th time they‘d still have the blank expression plastered. Just because it’s easy for you doesn’t mean its ‘kacang’ for them too. That’s the reason they need assistance… get it??

So the moral of the story is that teachers are a group of humans with super patience. Imagine teaching standard 1 maths or basic spelling to 7 year olds for the past 25 years…. Day in –day out, next year back to square one again…. If it was me…. Aaarggghh!!! Get me out of this time warp!! But if was not for these patient creatures, what would you be?? You won’t be able to count properly, read properly, think rationally….what will u become??.....Oh yeah! A politician….most probably.

So yeah, Happy Teacher’s Day you ols!